Wednesday, March 4, 2015

ssh to IPv6 address


I had this guest OS in vm on window which I regularly used to connect via IPV4, but suddenly that network interface stopped working and I had IPV6 in place. So I started thinking how do I connect to IPV6 address via ssh !

I came across this post: http://serverfault.com/questions/234711/how-do-i-add-ipv6-address-into-system32-drivers-etc-hosts

Basically you need to run below command on your windows host to get the VMnet8's segment id


netsh interface ipv6 show addresses

assuming your IPV6 is - fe80::20c:29ff:feea:a19c

so your ssh command will be as follows

ssh -6 oracle@fe80::20c:29ff:feea:a19c%16

You can also make same entry in your "System32\drivers\etc\hosts" file so that you can connect to your IPV6 guest by name as well.



No comments:

About Me

By profession I am a Database Administrator (DBA) with total 13 yrs. of experience in the field of Information Technology, out of that 9 yrs as SQL DBA and last 3 years in IBM System i/iSeries and DB2 LUW 9. I have handled Developer, plus production support roles, and I like both the roles. I love and live information technology hence the name "Techonologyyogi" Apart from that I am a small, retail investor, with small investments in India and United States in the form of Equity holdings via common stocks. Don't ask me if I have made money, I have been loosing money in stocks.